In 1879, John Brisben Walker, businessman and developer, established Berkeley Farm, which eventually encompassed over 1,500 acres. The farm is believed to have been named after Berkeley Springs, Virginia, where Walker and his wife once lived. Walker and Dr. William A. Bell, who had platted the Highland Park suburb in Highlands as well as entire townsites in the state, organized the Berkeley Farm and Cattle Company in 1885 to manage the farm. Berkeley Lake was developed as a reservoir by the Rocky Mountain Ditch Company on the northern portion of the farm. Walker donated fifty acres of his land to the Jesuits who established Sacred Heart College, later Regis College, in 1887. In 1888, Walker's farm was purchased by a group of Kansas City investors who employed the real estate firm of Carleton Ellis and John McDonough to subdivide and sell the land. William Lang was commissioned to design thirty-five houses for the development.
The Berkeley area eventually became split into two parts: Lower Berkeley and Berkeley Hill. The school for lower Berkeley was the Louisa M. Alcott Elementary School, built in 1892. The Berkeley Hill children went to Berkeley School at West 50th Avenue and Lowell. The Berkeley neighborhood continued to develop throughout the mid 20th century, largely though subdivisions. The lion's share of the growth occurred in the 1950s and 1960s.